Senior Android Engineer
- Posted : 2 years ago
Flipboard is a content discovery platform for your passions, interests, and news. Available on web, iOS, and Android, Flipboard offers the world important and influential articles shared by the greatest publishers and our awesome Flipboard community to advance conversation, keep people informed, and inspire them to engage, learn, and lead.
We are looking for an experienced Android developer with a background in shipping beautiful, high-performance, maintainable software to join our Android team. Here at Flipboard, you will take on complex problems, experiment with open source solutions and enjoy a culture that celebrates constant innovation. In this role, you will work on a completely unique and beautiful app and be able to pair your experience with a talented and fun team!
The team is based at Flipboard Headquarters in Redwood City, CA and fully remote during the pandemic. We have a flexible work from home policy and are open to hiring remote engineers in the Pacific Time zone.
- Develop new and exciting features and release to millions of Android users
- Write clean, maintainable code while rapidly iterating and shipping
- Work collaboratively with Product Management and Design to develop features
- Integrate with web services and spec out APIs with platform developers
- Maintain a thoughtful commit history using git and conduct peer reviews using GitHub
- Work closely with QA to quickly find and resolve any issues
- Keep up-to-date on the latest Android developments, respond to customer feedback & testing
- 4+ years of Android development experience
- Strong knowledge of Android UI design principles, patterns, and best practices
- Strong knowledge of Android SDK, different versions of Android, and how to deal with different screen sizes
- Strong Java engineering skills
- Experience with offline storage, threading, and performance tuning
- Experience shipping Android applications
- Experience with client/server programming, HTTP requests, and JSON
- Desire to learn new frameworks
- Knowledge of how to build composable, extensible interfaces quickly
- Knowledge of how to work within and maintain an existing codebase
Benefits & Perks
- USA: Our benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance, plus 401K with an employer match
- Canada: Our benefits include vision, dental, life, health insurance, "Employee and Family Assistance Program", plus eligibility to participate in our pension plan with an employer match
- All Locations: Flexible hours and generous 'out of office time' for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs | Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies –– you name it, we celebrate it!
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced CEO, Mike McCue, the Flipboard team is a positive, respectful, and diverse group of bright and highly capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. The Flipboard team is headquartered in downtown Redwood City, CA in the beautiful SF Bay Area. Although our roots lie in the Silicon Valley, our team extends around the world: New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, and London.
- Our culture: We value an environment and culture that encourages people's voices and perspectives to be heard. We believe that leveraging our team will lead us to create better products and services for all our users and partners. We value diversity and inclusion at Flipboard and are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from thousands of publishers around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.